Katie Holmes Dances Around Tom Cruise Talk Before Divorce

One day before she announced her split from Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes sat down with C magazine for a cover story, where she seemingly danced around questions regarding her high-profile marriage to the Oscar-winner.

During the interview, Holmes was asked if having Suri helped bring the pair closer in their relationship, and Holmes never directly answered the question. "I don't know. I mean ... I don't know," Holmes said. "People have been having babies a long time."

In an interview with WWD, the magazine's senior editor, Kelsey McKinnon, opened up about the experience of chatting with the star before her headline-making announcement that she was divorcing Cruise. "Going back over the tapes, there were signs: Holmes was certainly very aware of herself, laying a couple cards on the table but never showing her whole hand," McKinnon said. "Most noticeably, the one name decisively absent from her lexicon: Tom Cruise. She never actually refers to him by name over pages and pages of transcription."

In addition to avoiding anything specific regarding her relationship with Cruise, Holmes focused on what she wants to do next in her career, noting that she's "ready to take on some more challenging roles."

"I feel like I worked so much at such a young age that I really wanted to have life experiences. I feel more balanced and like I have more to bring to the table," she explained. "I always felt like I wanted to catch up [in my personal life] to what I was doing [in my career]."

With her divorce from the actor official, Holmes has focused on kicking h! er career into high gear. She announced she'll tackle a role on Broadway in "Dead Accounts" this fall. Also, she will appear on "Project Runway: All Stars" this season, appear in a film with Chace Crawford and hold her first-ever show during New York Fashion Week for her line, Holmes & Yang.


Comments