Tom Cruise delighted with Irish heritage

Following his whistle-stop visit to Ireland last week, Tom Cruise is telling American audiences about his Irish heritage.

Speaking on Jimmy Kimmel Live about being presented with a Certificate of Irish Ancestry from the Department of Foreign Affairs, he said: "It was incredible.

"As a gift, they went and researched my family. It was an amazing story.

"These two wonderful women did this as a gift for me. They gave me a cert saying this and traced my family back to the nint! h century. I had no idea it went back that far.

"You couldn't make this stuff up - I found out my ancestors owned a town called Hollywood. It's wild.

"One guy was a famine hero."

He added: "I asked what they meant by that - he was in New York and this guy who was helping to run estates wanted to throw tenants off the farm, so he got on a boat in the middle of winter, went all the way back and reinstated the tenants on the farm.

"He fired the lawyer and they threw him a big dinner in celebration.

"There were knights for Strongbow. They said we could be there for a long time, but I only had 40 minutes.

"They showed me a picture where the foundation of the castle was - they said my family owned most of Dublin at a certain point.

"It was unbelievable."


Comments