Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Nicole Kidman and More Stars React to Tony Scott's Shocking Suicide

Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Tony ScottColumbia Pictures; Paramount Pictures; FRANCOIS GUILLOT/AFP/Getty Images

Even more love for Tony Scott is pouring out of Hollywood following his apparent suicide, as stars who worked with Scott on both the big and small screen mourn the famed director and producer.

Tom Cruise, the star of one of Scott's first huge hits, 1986's Top Gun, said in a statement to E! News, "Tony was my dear friend and I will really miss him. He was a creative visionary whose mark on film is immeasurable. My deepest sorrow and thoughts are with his family at this time."

John Travolta, who starred in 2009's The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, told us, "Tony was one of my favorite directors I've ever worked with and was one of my favorite people, a truly inspired talent. Everyone loved Tony."

Read Ron Howard, Elijah Wood and many more's tweets remembering Scott.

Nicole Kidman, who appeared in 1990's Scott-directed Days of Thunder with then-beau Cruise (Scott also executive produced Kidman's upcoming Stoker), added: "I'm so so sad. I loved Tony and he was always so good to me. He will be deeply missed by so many of us that knew him."

Actors from other Scott projectsincluding Top Gun, True Romance, Dj Vu, Numb3rs, Unstoppable and The Good Wifealso sent their sentiments:

Keira Knightley (Domino): "Tony Scott was one of the most extraordinary, imaginative men I ever worked with. It was a privilege to have spent the time I did with him. He was a fire cracker and one of the world's true originals. My thoughts go to his family."

Gene Hackman (Crimson Tide): "Tony was always sensitive to the needs of an actor. We've lost a wonderful, creative talent."

Marc Anthony (Man on Fire): "Rest in Peace brother. Tony Scott A Genius silenced. I am devastated!! Why?????"

Christian Slater (True Romance): "Shocking and devastating news. He was the best and will be greatly missed. Love ya Tony, always have, always will"

Patricia Arquette (True Romance): "Tony Scott-The sweetest man I have ever worked with...so sad to see you go."

Dakota Fanning (Man on Fire): "It is difficult to find the right words to express the sadness I feel. I had the privilege of working with Tony on the film Man on Fire and that experience helped to shape th! e actor a! nd person I am today. Tony was a visionary with an adventurous spirit and a huge heart. Thank you, Tony. I will never forget your kindness to me and I will always cherish our memories together. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, especially his wife Donna and their two sons."

Kevin Costner (Revenge): "Tony was one of the good guys.He was a man's man who lived life as hard and as full as anyone I've ever met, but there was always a sweetness to his toughness.He was truly in love with his profession, and he is already missed."

Rosario Dawson (Unstoppable): "Tony Scott.... You left us too soon. How terribly sad. What a lovely, kind human being you were. I will love and miss you much. Blessings to your family. Rest In Peace."

Val Kilmer (Top Gun): "RIP Tony. You were the kindest film director I ever worked for. You will be missed."

Kelly McGillis (Top Gun): "I am deeply saddened by the loss of such a wonderful human being. I will miss his tremendous artistry and vision."

Brigitte Nielsen (Beverly Hills Cop 2): "I am devastated by the death of my dear friend Tony. My heart goes out to his children and family. He will always be missed and loved. Brigitte"

Check out Tony Scott's five most essential movies

Randy Quaid (Days of Thunder): "Being cast by Tony Scott in Days of Thunder happened while I live! d in my M! ontecito home; his 20 or so messages left on my answering machine convincing me to take the part are one of the important touchstones in my career. Donna, Tony's wife is a great beauty and Tony loved Donna since meeting her on the set of Days of Thunder. They are the benchmark for uber cool couples in Hollywood and I can not imagine her without him or him without her. Tony and Tom parachuted into the set one day. Tony as a director was Groovy! Talented! and wanted me for the role. He thought of me as handsome so I believed in his vision and still do and always will. Tony's Passing is a killer loss to Hollywood Cool."

Kristin Chenoweth (The Good Wife): "RIP mr. TonyScott. :("

David Krumholtz (Numb3rs): "Shocked to hear of Tony Scott's tragic death. He was a sweet, and funny man who loved making movies. His vision for "Numb3rs" was inspired."

Justin Timberlake: "So sad to hear the news about Tony Scott. His movies made growing up more fun for me. My prayers and condolences to the Scott family."

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson: "I make a movie because it's something that inspires me" ~ Tony Scott6/21/44 - 8/19/12 Your movies inspired me.."

Chris Rock: "TonyScottdirector of my favorite movie man on fire. " I wish you had more time "

Michelle Rodriguez: "Tony Scott will be missed a guy like Tony was trend setter unlike most chart following sheep directors in the big budget action film world, youll be missed :( RIP"

Susan Sarandon: "Saddened by the death of Tony Scott. A wonderful film maker and a funny, sweet guy. My condolences to his family."

Alyssa Milano: "I just heard about TonyScott's suicide. My heart aches. Sending light and love to his family, friends and co-workers.#RIP"

Ellen DeGeneres: "I'm sad to hear the news about Tony Scott. Sending love to his family & hoping anyone feeling hopeless or alone will reach out for help."

Roger Ebert: "The death of Tony Scott is shocking and saddening. He was an inspired craftsman."

Frank Marshall: "Can't quite believe we have lost the brilliance of TonyScott, as a filmmaker and a friend."

Look back: Tony Scott: A Life in Pictures


Comments